Information behaviour, an interdisciplinary perspective
- Aaker, D. A., Batra, R. and Myers, J.G.
(1992) Advertising Management. 4th ed. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice
- Armbruster, B.B. and Armstrong, J.O. (1993)
Locating information in text: a focus on children in the elementary grades.
Contemporary Educational Psychology, 18, 139-161.
- Baker, L.M. (1995) A new method for studying patient
information needs and information seeking patterns. in: International
Symposium on Health Information Research. Sheffield. 5-7 April 1995. Proceedings.
Sheffield: University of Sheffield, Department of Information Studies,
Centre for Health Information Management Research. pp. 67-75.
- Bandura, A. (1977) Self efficacy: towards a unifying
theory of behavioural change. Psychological Review, 84, 191-215.
- Bandura, A. (1986) Social Foundations of Thought
and Action: A Social-Comparison Theory. Englewood Cliffs: NJ: Prentice
- Barta, K.M. (1995) Information-seeking. research
utilization and barriers to research utilization of pediatric nurse educators.
Journal of Professional Nursing, 11, 49-57.
- Beatty, S.E. and Smith, S.M. (1987) External
search efforts: an investigation across several product categories. Journal
of Consumer Research, 14, 83-95.
- Bettman, J.A. (1978) Consumer information acquisition
and search strategies, in: The Effects of Information on Consumer
and Market Behaviour, edited by A.A. Mitchell. Chicago: American Marketing
- Bettman, J.R. and Kakkar, P. (1977) Effects
of information presentation format on consumer information acquisition
strategies. Journal of Consumer Research. 3, 233-240.
- Bettman, J.R. and Park, C.W. (1980) Effects
of prior knowledge and experience and phase of the choice process on consumer
decision processes. Journal of Consumer Research, 7, 234-248.
- Bloch, P.H., Sherrell, D.L. and Ridgeway,
N.M. (1986) Consumer search: an extended framework. Journal of Consumer
Research, 13, 119-126.
- Borgers, R., Mullen, P.D., Meertens, R., Rijken,
M., Eussen, G., Plagge, I., Visser, A.P. and Blijham, G.H. (1993)
The information seeking behaviour of cancer outpatients: a description
of the situation. Patient Education and Counselling, 22,
- Bower, G.H. and Hilgard, E.R. (1981) Theories
of Learning. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Burnkrant, R.E. (1976) A motivational model of
information-processing intensity. Journal of Consumer Research,
- Cacioppo, J.T., Petty, R.E. and Kao, C.F.
(1984) The efficient assessment of need for cognition. Journal of Personality
Assessment, 42, 306-307.
- Cameron, P., Corbett, K., Duncan, C., Hegyi, K.,
Maxwell, H. and Burton, P.F. (1994) Information needs of hospital
patients: a survey of satisfaction levels in a large city hospital. Journal
of Documentation, 50, 10-23.
- Chew, F. (1994) The relationship of information
needs to issue relevance and media use. Journalism Quarterly,
- Connell, C.M. and Crawford, C.O. (1988)
How people obtain their health information: a survey in two Pennsylvania
counties. Public Health Reports, 103, 189-195.
- Dervin, B. (1983) An overview of sense-making research:
concepts, methods and results to date. Paper presented at the International
Communications Association Annual Meeting, Dallas, May, 1983.
- Dolby, J.L. and Clark, N. (1982) The
language of data. Los Altos, CA: Dolby Associates.
- Dreher, M.J. (1992) Searching for information in
textbooks. Journal of Reading, 35, 364-371.
- Ellis, D. (1989) A behavioural approach to information
retrieval system design. Journal of Documentation, 45, 171-212.
- Feick, L.F., Herrmann, R.O. and Warland,
R.H. (1986) Search for nutrition information: a probit analysis of the
use of different information sources. Journal of Consumer Affairs,
- Festinger, L. (1957) A Theory of Cognitive Dissonance.
Stanford, California: Stanford University Press.
- Fill, C. (1995) Marketing Communications, frameworks, theories and
applications. New York: Prentice-Hall.
- Fiske, J. (1990) Introduction to communication
studies. 2nd ed. London: Routledge.
- Folkman, S. (1984) Personal control and stress
and coping processes: a theoretical analysis. Journal of Personality
and Social Psychology, 46, 839-852.
- Folkman, S. and Lazarus, R.S. (1985) If
it changes it must be a process: study of emotion and coping during three
stages of a college examination. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology,
- Freimuth, B.J., Stein, J.A. and Kean, T.J.
(1989) Searching for health information: the Cancer Information Service
Model. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Ghosal, S. and Kim, S.K. (1986) Building
effective intelligence systems for competitive advantage. Sloan Management
- Ghosal, J.T. and Mosenthal, P. (1986) Building
effective intelligence systems for competitive advantage. Sloan Management
Review, (Fall), 49-58.
- Guthrie, J.T. and Mosenthal, P. (1987) Literacy
as multidimensional: locating information and reading comprehension. Educational
Psychologist, 22, 279-297.
- Handy, C.B. (1985) Understanding organizations.
- Hannay, D., Usherwood, T. and Platts, M.
(1992) Workload of General Practitioners before and after the new contract.
British Medical Journal, (March 7) 304, 615-618.
- Harris, J. (1992) You can't ask if you don't know
what to ask: a survey of the information needs and resources of hospital
outpatients. New Zealand Medical Journal, 105, 199-202.
- Hofstede, G. (1980) Culture's consequences:
international differences in work-related values. Beverly Hills, CA:
- Hofstede, G. (1991) Cultures and organizations:
software of the mind. Intercultural cooperation and its importance for
survival. London: McGraw-Hill International (UK), Ltd.
- Howze, E.H. and Redman, L.J. (1992) The
uses of theory in health advocacy - politics and programs. Health Education
Quarterly, 19, 369-383.
- Ippolito, P. and Mathios, A.D. (1990) Information,
advertising and health choices: a study of the cereal market. RAND Journal
of Economics, 21, 459-480.
- Ippolito, P., Murphy, R.D. and Sant, D.
(1979) Consumer responses to cigarette health information. Washington,
DC: Federal Trade Commision. (Staff Report)
- Jacoby, J., Chestnut, R.W., Weigl, K.C. and
Fisher, W.A. (1976) Pre-purchase information acquisition: description of
a process methodology, research paradigm, and pilot investigation., in:
Advances in consumer research, Vol. 3. edited by B.B. Anderson. Chicago:
Association for Consumer Research. pp. 306-314.
- Jacoby, J., Chestnut, R.W. and Fisher, W.A.
(1978) A behavioral process approach to information acquisition in non-durable
purchasing. Journal of Marketing Research, 15, 532-544.
- Johnson, L.C. and Macrae, C.N. (1994) Changing
social stereotypes: The case of the information seeker. European Journal
of Social Psychology, 24, 581-592.
- Johnson, J.D. (1983) A test of a model of magazine
exposure and appraisal in India. Communication Monographs, 50,
- Johnson, J.D. and Meischke, H. (1991a)
Women's preferences for cancer information from specific communication
channels. American Behavioral Scientist, 34, 742-755.
- Johnson, J.D. and Meischke, H. (1991b)
Cancer information: women's source and content preferences. Journal
of Health Care Marketing, 11, 37-44.
- Johnson, J.D. and Meischke, H. (1993) A
comprehensive model of caner-related information seeking applied to magazines.
Human Communications Research, 19, 343-367.
- Kassulke, D., Stenner, D.K., Coory,
M. and Ring, I. (1993) Information seeking behaviour and sources
of health information: associations with risk factors status in an analysis
of three Queensland electorates. Australian Journal of Public Health,
- Kleiber, C., Montgomery, L. A., and Craft-Rosenberg,
M. (1995) Information needs of the siblings of critically ill children.
Children's Health Care, 24, 47-60.
- Koopman, P.L. (1990) New information technology
and organizational decision making. Irish Journal of Psychology, 11,
- Kotler, P. (1991) Marketing management: analysis,
planning, implementation and control. 7th ed. Englewood Cliffs, NJ:
- Krohne, H.W. (1986) Coping with stress: dispositions,
strategies, and the problem of measurement, in: Dynamics of stress,
edited by C.D. Spielberger and I.G. Sarason. New York: Plenum.
- Krohne, H.W. (1989) The concept of coping modes:
relating cognitive person variables to actual coping behaviour. Advances
in Behavioural Research and Theory, 11, 235-249.
- Krohne, H.W. (1993) Vigilance and cognitive avoidance
as concepts in coping research; in: Attention and Avoidance:
Strategies in Coping with Aversiveness. Edited by H.W. Krohne, H.W.
Seattle: Hogrefe and Huber. Chapter 2.
- Lord, K.R. and Putrevu, S. (1993) Advertising
and publicity: an information processing perspective. Journal of Economic
Psychology, 14, 57-84.
- MacInnis, D.J. and Jaworski, B.J. (1991)
Enhancing and measuring consumers' motivation, opportunity, and ability
to process brand information from advertisements. Journal of Marketing,
- McQuail, D. (1972) Sociology of Mass Communications:
selected readings. Harmondsworth: Penguin.
- Marcus, S.H. and Tuchfield, B.S. (1993)
Sharing information, sharing responsibility: helping health care consumers
make informed decisionsProceedings Annual Symposium on Computing and Applied
Medical Care, 3- 7
- Marmorstein, H., Grewal, D. and Fishe, R.P.H.
(1992) The value of time spent in price-comparison shopping: Survey and
experimental evidence. Journal of Consumer Research, 19,
- Miller, S.M. and Mangan, C.E. (1983) Interesting
effects of information and coping style in adapting to gynaecological stress:
should a doctor tell all? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology,
- Mintzberg, H. (1979) The structuring of organizations:
a synthesis of the research. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Moorman, C. and Matulich, E. (1993) A model
of consumers' preventive health behaviours: the role of health motivation
and health ability. Journal of Consumer Research, 20, 208-228.
- Morgan, C.T. and King, R.A. (1971) Introduction
to psychology. 4th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Murray, K.B. (1991) A test of services marketing
theory: consumer information acquisition activities. Journal of Marketing,
- Norman, D.A. (1984) Stages and levels in human-machine
interaction. International Journal of Man-machine Studies, 21,
- O'Reilly, C.A. (1983) The use of information in
organizational decision making: a model and some propositions, in: Research
in Organizational Behavior. Volume 5, edited by L.L. Cummings and
B.M. Shaw. Greenwich, Conn: JAI Press.
- Payne, J.W. (1982) Contingent decision behaviour.
Psychology Bulleting, 92, 382-402.
- Payne, J.W., Bettman, J.R. and Johnson,
E.J. (1988) Adaptive strategy selection in decision making. Journal
of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory and Cognition, 14,
- Pezza, P.E. (1990) Orientation to uncertainty and
information seeking about personal health. Health Education, 21,
- Phillips, S.A. and Zorn, M.J. (1994) Assessing
consumer health information needs in a community hospital. Bulletin
of the Medical Library Association, 82, 288-293.
- Radecki, C.M. and Jaccard, J. (1995) Perceptions
of knowledge, actual knowledge, and information search behaviour. Journal
of Experimental Social Psychology, 31, 107-138.
- Ray, M.L. (1982) Advertising and communication
management. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Rodin, J. (1985) The application of social psychology.
Handbook of Social Psychology. 3rd. ed. New York: Random
- Rogers, E.M. (1983) Diffusion of Innovation.
3rd ed. New York: The Free Press.
- Rogers, E.M. and Shoemaker, F.F. (1971)
Communication of innovations. 2nd ed. New York: The Free Press.
- Rosenstock, I.M. (1974) Historical origins of the
Health Belief Model. Health Education Monographs, 2, 328-335.
- Rosenstock, I.M., Strecher, V.J. and Becker,
M.H. (1988) Social learning and the health belief model. Health Education
Quarterly.15, (2), 175-183.
- Rubin, A.M. (1986) Uses, Gratifications and
Media Effects Research, in: Perspectives in Media Effects, edited
by J. Bryant and D. Zillmann. Hillsdale NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Russo, J.E. and Rosen, L.D. (1975) An eye fixation analysis of
multi-alternative choice. Memory and Cognition, 3, 267-276.
- Schuker, R.E., Stokes, R.C., Stewart, M. and
Henderson, D.P. (1983) The impact of the saccharin warning label on sales
of diet soft drinks in supermarkets. Journal of Public Policy and Marketing,
- Settle, R.B. and Alreck, P. (1989) Reducing
buyers' sense of risk. Marketing Communications. January, 34-40.
- Sheen, M.R. (1992) Barriers to scientific and technical
knowledge acquisition in industrial R & D. R & D Management.
22, (2), 135-143.
- Shore, B and Venkatachalam, V. (1994) Prototyping
- a metaphor for cross-curltural transfer and implementation of IS applications.
Information and Management, 27, 175-184
- Simon, H. (1977) The New Science of Management
Decisions. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Slevin, M.L., Terry, Y., Hallett, N., Jefferies,
S., Launder, S., Plant, R., Wax, H. and McElwain, T. (1988) BACUP
- The first two years: Evaluation of a national cancer information service.
British Medical Journal, 297, 669-672.
- Sorrentino, R. and Short, J. (1986) Uncertainty
orientation, motivation, and cognition, in: Handbook of Motivation and
Cognition, edited by R. Sorrentino and E. Higgins. New
York: The Guilford Press.
- Stein, J.A. (1981) Irradiation-related thyroid
cancer: influencing the health behaviour of high risk individuals through
mass media and a telephone information service. Paper presented to the
American Association for Cancer Education, San Diego.
- Steptoe, A. and O'Sullivan, J. (1986) Monitoring
and blunting coping styles in women prior to surgery. British Journal
of Clinical Psychology, 25, 143-144.
- Stigler, G. (1961) The economics of information.
Journal of Political Economy, 69, 213-225.
- Toggerson, S.K. (1981) Media coverage and information
seeking behaviour. Journalism Quarterly, 58, 89-93.
- Tufte, E.R. (1983) The visual display of quantitative
information. Cheshire, CT: Graphics Press.
- Tufte, E.R. (1990) Envisioning information.
Cheshire, CT: Graphics Press.
- Urbany, J.E., Dickson, P.R. and Wilke, W.L.
(1989) Buyer uncertainty and information search. Journal of Consumer
Research, 16, 208-215
- van Zuuren, F.J. and Wolfs, H.M. (1991)
Styles of information seeking under threat: personal and situational aspects
of monitoring and blunting. Personality and Individual Differences,
- Verplanken, B., Hazenberg, P.T., and Palenewen,
G.T. (1992) Need for cognition and external information search effort.
Journal of Research in Personality, 26, 128-136
- Veryard, R. (1988) Modelling of information needs.
Information and Software technology, 30, 571-578.
- Weigts, W., Widdershoven, G., Kok, G., and
Tomlow, P. (1993) Patients' information seeking actions and physicians'
responses in gynaecological consultations. Qualitative Health Research,
- Wilson, T.D. (1981) On user studies and information
needs. Journal of Documentation, 37, 3-15
- Wilson, T.D. (1994) Information needs and uses:
fifty years of progress? in: Fifty years of information progress: a
Journal of Documentation review, edited by B.C. Vickery. London: Aslib.
- Witte, K., Stokols, D., Iturate, P. and Scheander,
M. (1993) Testing the health belief model in a field study to promote bicycle
safety helmets. Communication Research, 20, 564-586
- Yzerbyt, V.Y. and Leyens, J.P. (1991) Requesting
information to form an impression: The influence of valence and confirmatory
status. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 27, 337-356.
- Zajonc, R.B. (1968) Attitudinal effects of mere
exposure. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology Monograph,
9 (2, Part 2), 1-28.